Because it is a silly thread and I shouldn't be replying at all.  Others
in the group either have more sense or have given up on answering
php-general questions.

My view on encoders is that they are unnecessary and rather evil.  I would
never ever purchase a php-based application that did not come with the php
source code.  If you want to restrict your code somehow, do it through a
license.  People who choose to violate that license are the same people
who will hack your encoded scripts anyway.  And this way the honest
customers will have the benefit of the code to customize, learn from,
build on top of.  Closed source stuff stifles innovation and I personally
refuse to work on a PHP encoder for this reason.  Imagine if I had never
released the source for PHP?  We would not be having this discussion
today.

I know plenty of people disagree with this view, but there you have it.

-Rasmus