This may not be what you were thinking of exactly, but my usual approach to this is to
use the ?: ternary operator thusly:

    echo isset($variable)?"$variable,":'';

or, to omit empty strings and zero values also:

    echo empty($variable)?'':"$variable,";

Cheers!

Mike

Beckett Park, LEEDS,  LS6 3QS,  United Kingdom
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]