James's answer is likely what you are looking for. As there are many
different ways to maintain sessions, you're going to get many different
answers.

However, the default behavior for PHP sessions is to assign the unique
identifier to a cookie. If this cookie has a domain of .web.com (see
James's answer below for how), then Web sites at secure.web.com and
www.web.com will both be able to read it. Thus, you would need to make
no adjustments; you will be using the same session. This is not
cross-domain state management...

The only caveat is the case where you are running these two domains on
two physically separate machines. If this is the case, the above
suggestion won't help you without some work. The work in this case would
be to store your session data in a database, because the default
behavior is to store it on the filesystem. Since you state, "both web
sites point to the same set of data," I assume they are either both
located on the same machine or both have access to a common database, so
one of these methods will work for you.

Happy hacking.

Chris