Ok ... I take back what I said about & not working in a query string.
It works just fine.

But, none of this explains why I am sometimes receiving a request with &
in the query string, especially I am using '&' in the <A> link.

The only way I think I can find out is by augmenting the error message I
received, as described earlier.

I'll report back when/if I learn anything from doing this.

--
JR