Rick, et al --

...and then Rick Widmer said...
%
% At 02:57 PM 12/31/02 -0500, David T-G wrote:
% >...and then Tularis said...
% >%
% >% Usually,
% >% using mysql to handle your tables is *way* faster than letting php
% >% handle it.
%
% Yes, do as much as you can in the database.  The people who wrote it spent
% a lot of time trying to optimize it.

Yeah :-)

%
% >% In your case, you could just do a complex join I think. That would give
% >
% >Ahhh...  A new term.  Back to the books for me!
%
% Here is a query from one of my projects...

Wow.  Some piece of work.

%
% Every field in the Schedule table is a key to another table that has to be
% looked up and translated to something people will understand.  Note the two

Exactly my situation (by design; I at least know that I wouldn't want to
store a name string in the schedule again and again and again :-)

% different ways of connecting tables with LEFT JOIN.  USING( fieldname )
% connects the  table being joined, with the table listed right before it,
% using the same fieldname in both.  The ON syntax allows you to use
% differently named fields, and/or a different table.

I still don't get what a left or right or outer or inner join is...  I've
read the mysql docs for the syntax and some examples, but this is a place
where I'll need to go to outside tutorials.  Do you know of any (on the
web) which will give me the background?

TIA & Thanks for the example & Happy New Year

:-D
(play) [EMAIL PROTECTED] * society and not sufficient moral courage.
(work) [EMAIL PROTECTED]  -- Mary Baker Eddy, "Science and Health"