Happy New Year everyone!

Is the PHP mail() command robust enough to use in a little mailing list app?
The app will basically send an HTML or Text e-mail to the member database of
about 6,000 people. I'm using RedHat Linux 7.2 with PHP 4.2.2, by the way.
I'm concerned I'll bog down my server if I issue the mail() command 6,000
times on our server, but, maybe it won't be a problem?

Also, although I'm sending HTML e-mail, I'm not including attachments or
inline graphics (only direct hotlinks to graphics on a web server). Will
mail() still work okay for this, or do I need to use one of the various PHP
e-mail classes available to send HTML e-mail?

Any recommendations for online tutorials about building a mailing list
manager using PHP would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Monty