Output buffering functions sound like something you could use:

<?php

 function OtherStuff()
 {
  echo "MONKEY!!!<br>\n";
 }

 function DoStuff()
 {
  echo "Something<br>\n";
  echo "Something else<br>\n";
  OtherStuff();
 }

 // Start output buffering.
 ob_start();

 // Grab the content.
 DoStuff();
 $content = ob_get_contents();

 // Finish up.
 ob_end_clean();

 // What to do with $content?
 echo "Content is: <b>" . $content . "</b>\n";

?>

However, this could get messy and might not be what you're really after. If
you're just wanting to return values from your functions, use return:

function OtherStuff()
{
    return "Monkey!<br>\n";
}

function DoStuff()
{
    $output = "Something<br>\n";
    $output .= "Something else<br>\n";
    $output .= OtherStuff();

    return $output;
}

$content = DoStuff();

echo "Content = " . $content;

would have a similar effect to the output method above.

Anyway, further reference for you on output buffering can be found here:
http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.outcontrol.php

-James