I prefer single quotes on stuff that doesn't need to
be parsed. In most cases this is more efficient,
though  probably not noticed except on a large scale.
I also think it makes it easier to include html
strings (because double quotes don't need to be
escaped) and I find it easier to work my code in
Homesite.

echo '<p>'.$something.' '.$something_else.'</p>';
rather than