It is incredibly easy to write a short little php script that edits a
template and submits it directly to qmail-inject; if you're using qmail
already php mail()/sendmail is just a wrapper to qmail-inject. I use
qmail-inject directly because it allows me to write my own VERP and process
bounces against the database.

A little Pentium 200 running Linux, MySQL, php4, and qmail with 100 queues
can more than saturate a T1 line when used for mailing that way! 800
messages isn't close to being "massive" - that many can be sent in way less
than a minute (depending on size, of course - a T1 isn't that big anymore
...).