I seem to be having trouble with htmlentities(). Maybe someone has a clue I can
borrow. Here's my function:

function FitForHTML($string) {
    $asciitable = get_html_translation_table(HTML_ENTITIES);
    $string = htmlentities($string, ENT_COMPAT);
    $string = str_replace($asciitable[chr(255)], "ÿ", $string);

    return $string;
}

When calling this function with the following data: é[a club]+  <>
I get: é&#9827;+  &

(I didn't send this as Unicode. The &#9827 was originally a club character.)

Maybe I'm not looking in the correct area, but when I do a search in Google Groups, I
get one message (well, two: one in English and one in German or some language that
uses a lot of z's and c's), but that doesn't solve the problem.