2009/6/5 Edward Hervey <bilb...@gmail.com>:
> ... WOW
>
>  That is awesome ! Do you care explaining what you did to do that ?
> What changes you applied to pitivi, etc... ?

Hi again!

Like 5 months ago I created a project called GStreamre-Winbuilds[1] to
provide GStreamer's precompiled  binaries for Windows, the same
binaries I use for my project LongoMatch[2]. Last week I decide to add
support for the  GStreamer Python bindings and I choosed PiTiVi to
test them ;-).
To set-up the system I follow these step:
1)Install Python25 under c:\Python25
2)Install Gtk using the gimp installer[3]
3)Install PyGTK, PyGObject and PyCairo[4]
4)Download the GStreamer binaries [5]. This is a preview of the new
release. All the plugins depending on GPL external dependencies like
gstxvid or gstfaad, are not yet added, therefore the encoding/decoding
support is still very poor. Beside I'm using an old gnonlin version
(0.10.10) and an old gstreamer core version (0.10.23), but I will try
to update them ASAP.
5)Download and install the Python bindings[6] under c:/Python25
6)Install pkg-resources
7)Install zope.interface using easyinstall
8)Install the goocanvas Python bindings[7] (I think these bindings are
very outdated...I think it should be easy to recompile a newer
version)

PiTiVi need some tweaks because it has not been designed to be used in Windows.

The first problems I met were related with paths. For example
os.getenv('HOME') returns null on Windows and must be changed with
os.getenv('USERPROFILE'). Paths should be defined relative to the
execution folder. I mean, PIXMAPDIR for example, in configure.py,
should point to execdir/../share/pixmaps. It's the first time I use
PiTiVi and I don't understand very well how it gets environment
variables like XDG_DATA_HOME (maybe using a config file?), so I had
some troubles setting all the default directories.

The Gtk windows binaries doesn't include a svg pixbufloader, so I had
to convert all the svg pixmpas to png.

All the GStreamer issues are related to missing elements, or elements
that have  a different behaviour on Windows:
   *The preview pipeline uses the pngenc, which doesn't work on
Windows, and I replace it with the jpegenc.
   *On Windows, you get the window id using window.handle instead of
using window.xid to set the xoverlay window id.
   *I also get a lot of errors telling that a GSTControler element
doesn't have the 'update' or '_min_start' porperty, and I think this
problem is realted to the old gnonlin version I'm using.
    *The device probing doesn't work so I had to comment the webcam probe.

Besides I haven't added yet some important decoding/encoding plugins
to the GStreamer package, so the codecs support is still very poor.

This is an half-day work and I did all the changes in a quick and
dirty way... The PiTiVi code just needs some OS switches to fix these
platforms specific issues and once I got the GStreamer's binaries
updated the results will be much better.

Cheers
Andoni Morales

[1]http://www.gstreamer-winbuild.ylatuya.es
[2]http://www.ylatuya.es