From: <bounce-128121630-97181...@list.cornell.edu> on behalf of Bill PETERSEN
<wpeter...@wisc.edu>
Date: Monday, April 1, 2024 at 9:51 AM
To: PLANTGENEMEMBERFORUM-L <PLANTGENEMEMBERFORUM-L@list.cornell.edu>
Subject: Activate charcoal in plant tissue culture media

Dear group,

What is the function of activated charcoal in plant tissue culture medium?

What is the mode of action?

Activated charcoal in medium puzzles me. Activated charcoal will chelate some
elements in the medium.

Does this make the nutrients more easily available? Or bind them and prevent
movement to the plant tissue?

In the paper Mukami et al. 2022 "Plant regeneration from leaf mesophyll derived
protoplasts of cassava (Manihot esculenta Crantz)",

the authors describe a medium with the addition of 0.4 g/l activated charcoal
as being a desiccation medium.

 Why might a small amount of activated charcoal added to a water-based medium
be termed a desiccating medium?

Bill Petersen

Wisconsin Crop Innovation Center.

University of Wisconsin - Madison