hi bina,

i tried it long time ago and used 2 methods i found anywere in the www, this should work

private static HSSFPicture createPicture(HSSFWorkbook workbook,String sheetName,String imageFile,int dx1,int dy1,int dx2,int dy2,short col1,int row1,short col2,int row2){ //Create the drawing patriarch. This is the top level container for //all shapes. This will clear out any existing shapes for that sheet. HSSFPatriarch patriarch = workbook.getSheet (sheetName).createDrawingPatriarch();

        HSSFClientAnchor anchor;
anchor = new HSSFClientAnchor (dx1,dy1,dx2,dy2,col1,row1,col2,row2);
        anchor.setAnchorType( 2 );

        try {
return patriarch.createPicture(anchor, loadPicture ( imageFile, workbook ));
        } catch (IOException e) {
            // TODO Auto-generated catch block
            e.printStackTrace();
            return null;
        }
    }

private static int loadPicture( String path, HSSFWorkbook wb ) throws IOException{
        int pictureIndex;
        FileInputStream fis = null;
        ByteArrayOutputStream bos = null;
        try{
            fis = new FileInputStream( path);
            bos = new ByteArrayOutputStream( );
            int c;
            while ( (c = fis.read()) != -1) bos.write( c );
pictureIndex = wb.addPicture( bos.toByteArray(), HSSFWorkbook.PICTURE_TYPE_JPEG );
        }
        finally{
            if (fis != null)
                fis.close();