On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 08:44:33AM +0100, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:
> There is a different problem that might need to be addressed first.
> MITM attackers could circumvent NTS simply by joining the pool. How
> could that be prevented or minimized? Not accept any new members and
> trust the old ones they won't do any harm? A year long waiting list
> for NTS?

I think really fixing that problem is so complex that we shouldn't
attempt to do it. If some of the problems are easy to fix, we
should of course consider fixing them.

If we add a waiting list of 1 year, it just means that they need
to prepare now to do an attack in 1 year.

The first defense we have against attackers joining the pool is that
a client has multiple servers. But that doesn't prevent an attacker
from adding many servers.

An other is that the pool monitors the servers and drops those
with a too big offset. But the servers can send the correct time
to the monitor and the wrong time to the rest or just those under
attack.

I think the only thing we can really fix is the MITM itself.

Kurt