Uwe Dippel wrote:
stands still in the 4.1.5 version; and still suffers from the same errors
as 2 years ago (see archive; search hylafax). What a pity ...
In between, Steve has sent two updates to 4.1.8 and 4.2.0 (Sept 04).

Try 4.2.1, it fixes a potential security vulnerability:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?m=110546971307585

http://shockley.net/OpenBSD/hylafax-4.2.1-port.tgz

Since I don't use HF any more, I can't really test it in production. Please let me know if it works for you.

Okay, I didn't send an official patch file, but a complete description of
the errors; but I will do so again if desired.

Earlier versions of the port (and I think the in-tree one) had a link from /var to /usr/local; that was Ugly. I think I fixed that in the 4.2.0 port.

My wild guesses left: it must have something to do with fax and uucp
sitting on the same user-id (66). And the uninstall misses out something
here.

Does the Hylafax port install a fax user? That doesn't sound right. If it created a user it'd be named _fax and have uid >= 500 anyway.

Here again the same gripe; for the last two years:
(and repeated until someone updates the port)

I removed a bunch of bashisms with 4.2.0, and removed some more with 4.2.1. Depending on Bash just to run a software setup script is silly.

The port also gives the wrong install message. It would have to be

I read this part after I finished updating the port for 4.2.1. I'll add your startup script and cron suggestions in later. A couple of the other issues are addressed in the newer install message.