On Thu, Aug 17, 2023 at 08:08:12PM -0400, Thomas Frohwein wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 17, 2023 at 02:08:09PM -0700, Ryan Freeman wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 17, 2023 at 03:24:38PM -0400, Thomas Frohwein wrote:
> > > On Thu, Aug 17, 2023 at 11:18:29AM -0700, Ryan Freeman wrote:
> > >
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > -  $ crispy-hexen -iwad hexen.wad
> > >
> > > Is there a problem with crispy-hexen? It's still in the PLIST, but this
> > > line removes it from the README.
> > >

> > Nope, no issue.  That must be from when I synced it with the chocolate-doom
> > pkg/README.  I would have to guess I decided that listing just a couple
> > examples was sufficient rather than listing an example for every game.
> > Hexen also AFAIK only ever had hexen.wad, whereas heretic and doom versions
> > may have had either doom1.wad or heretic1.wad for shareware vs full game.
> >
> > https://doomwiki.org/wiki/HEXEN.WAD
> >
> > IWADs installed in ${PREFIX}/share/doom (all games) also automatically get
> > used, the remark about multiple IWADs is mostly for the games that had
> > multiple options.  For Doom, both crispy-doom and chocolate-doom err to
> > choosing doom2.wad first, whereas you might want to use -iwad to specify
> > doom.wad, plutonia.wad, or tnt.wad.
> >
> > There could be a case for showing an example for Strife, as strife0.wad is
> > shareware and strife1.wad/voices.wad is from full version.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> I don't think that's necessary. This is already a very detailed README
> (which is great!).
>
> > Thanks for the feedback!
> > -Ryan
>
> I just tested it with:
>
> $ $ crispy-doom freedoom1.wad
>
> and that also worked. As this is the easiest to install doom, add it to
> the README?

I think that is a great idea.  Not sure why I never considered it for
chocolate-doom too.  Let me know how this looks and I'll adapt a diff
for chocolate as well.  Also, easiest to install?  You can also pkg_add
doomdata for the shareware. :-)

> Either way, this is ok thfr@. If there's another developer ok, I can go
> ahead and commit this.

Reattached with modified pkg/README mentioning freedoom/freedm packages,
and their IWAD names.  Just a quick note after the IWAD examples.

Thanks!
-Ryan