Have you tried adjusting your wpa_supplicant.conf file to include
the following:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=wheel
openssl_ciphers=DEFAULT@SECLEVEL=0

network={
        ssid="eduroam"
        key_mgmt=WPA-EAP
        eap=PEAP
        identity="studentidnum...@bsuir.by"
        password="IISuserAccountPassword"
        phase1="allow_unsafe_renegotiation=1 tls_disable_tlsv1_0=0"
}

Making the above adjustments allowed me to connect to an 802.X network
after compiling the OpenSSL wpa_supplicant from ports.

Ultimately, the older version of wpa_supplicant was not stable enough
for me. During the authentication process, wpa_supplicant would freeze
completely, which prevented me from authenticating with my ISP and
accessing the Internet (which is obviously a non-starter). I migrated my
firewalls back to FreeBSD and everything has been working wonderfully.