On 4/29/24 1:17 PM, Landry Breuil wrote:
Le Mon, Apr 29, 2024 at 10:18:24AM +0200, Renaud Allard a écrit :

On 4/29/24 9:43 AM, Landry Breuil wrote:
Le Mon, Apr 29, 2024 at 09:38:25AM +0200, Renaud Allard a écrit :
Hello,

This is a small update for net/synapse to 1.105.1 to solve CVE-2024-31208

can you assess whether this should be backported to 7.5-stable, only a
single commit, the complete update ?

The commit for the fix is
https://github.com/element-hq/synapse/commit/55b0aa847a61774b6a3acdc4b177a20dc019f01a

It seems it affects all versions prior to 1.105.1.
I don't think backporting the whole version is really an issue, it might be
more simple than to just add the fix. There are no breaking changes between
the versions and I have tested the backport on -stable.

Given that it can more or less corrupt the database by filling the disk, it
might be a good idea to backport it to -stable.

the only drawback i can see is that the fix bumps the database schema
version, so it requires an update of the database after applying the fix ?

Yes, that's why I think it's better to backport the full version instead of applying the patch alone as this could bring issues later.