* frantisek holop [2009-03-19]:
> some packages seem to have example config files and
> ask the user explicitly to copy it to /etc and tailor it.
>
> some also put this file into /etc during pkg_add.
> and i guess some do entirely differently :]

As always, it depends. There are some programs out there, providing
configuration examples which don't really make any sense as default
config. In that case, I would advise the user to configure their
software manually. Other programs provide usable defaults in their
config files, making it sensible to install them to SYSCONFIDR by
default. But that's just my opinion...

Nikolay