Per Brad's suggestion, I now have a mostly functional port of Squid 3.2. For Squid's error messages, it has a bunch of directories with files in a certain language (e.g. en) then several symlinks of variants of the language (e.g. en-ca, en-uk, en-us etc.). I install the directories and symlinks to /usr/local/share/examples/squid/errors, then @sample them into /usr/local/share/squid/errors. During pkg_add, when @sample tries to copy the symlinks, it winds up with a 0 byte file instead. The installed symlinks in examples/squid are correct. Is there a better way to install symlinks?