From: Ingo Schwarze <schwa...@usta.de>
Sent: Wednesday, 6 September 2017 10:16 PM
To: Ian McWilliam
Cc: ports@openbsd.org
Subject: Re: textproc/aspell uselocale undefined symbol from converters/libiconv

Hi Ian,

I suspect that you have some parts of your ports/packages out of
sync with other parts.

Ian McWilliam wrote on Wed, Sep 06, 2017 at 04:32:34AM +0000:

> ===>  Building for aspell-af-0.50.0v1
> /usr/local/bin/word-list-compress d < af.cwl | /usr/local/bin/aspell
> --lang=af create master ./af.rws
> aspell:/usr/local/lib/libintl.so.6.0: undefined symbol 'uselocale'
> ld.so: aspell: lazy binding failed!

That looks like /usr/local/bin/aspell is still linking against an
old version of libc, even though it looks like you have already
updated your copy of the devel/gettext package.

What does

  $ ldd /usr/local/bin/aspell

tell you, in particular regarding libc.so.*.*?
It ought to report /usr/lib/libc.so.90.0.

Does it help to first rebuild and re-install textproc/aspell
before attemptimg to build aspell-af?

> I'll assume this has some interaction with the change in libc
>
> New POSIX xlocale implementation written from scratch.
> Complete in the sense that all POSIX *locale(3) and *_l(3) functions
> are included, but in OpenBSD, we of course only really care about
> LC_CTYPE and we only support ASCII and UTF-8.
>
> With important help from kettenis@, guenther@, and jca@.
> Repeated testing in ports bulk builds by naddy@.
> Additional testing by jca@, sebastia@, dcoppa@, and others.
> OK kettenis@ dcoppa@, and guenther@ on an earlier version.
> Riding guenther@'s libc/librthread major bump.
>
> converters/libiconv was rebuilt and updated too due to library bumps.

That sounds fine and is expected (because it uses libc), but i do
not think that libiconv is related to your problem: libintl is part
of gettext, not of libiconv.  But gettext is unlikely to be your
problem either: the fact that it wants uselocale(3) indicates that
it is probably already up-to-date.  So my hunch is that aspell
itself is what you forgot to update; not sure though because of
slightly sparse information.

In any case, aspell-af builds and installs fine for me on amd64-current;
not tested at runtime.

Yours,
  Ingo