Hi,

The configure script of GDB (version 7.6 or later) has a --with-lzma option that controls whether GDB will use liblzma or not. (It is needed to for reading .gnu_debuginfo sections from ELF files, if they are present.) By default (if not explicitly enabled or disabled), it will use liblzma if it is detected at build time.

Currently, PTXdist does not configure GDB with any --with-lzma value, so whether or not it is configured to use liblzma depends on whether some version of XZ has previously been built or not.

If GDB gets automatically configured to use liblzma, but the XZ package is not to be installed (perhaps there is a previous build of XZ in the platform's sysroot-target), then there will be a run-time error when running GDB due to the missing library. It also means that the build of GDB may not be reproducible.

It seems to me that PTXdist should have a configuration option to choose whether GDB should be built with liblzma support or not (and possibly a configuration option to select whether the GDB version is 7.6 or later, defaulting to true). The default could depend on PTXCONF_TARGET_MINI_DEBUGINFO. If binaries have a .gnu_debuginfo section then we probably want GDB to be able to use it!

I'll attempt to knock up a patch for it.

--
-=( Ian Abbott <abbo...@mev.co.uk> || MEV Ltd. is a company  )=-
-=( registered in England & Wales.  Regd. number: 02862268.  )=-