re all,

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 02:26:30PM -0600, Josh Lawrence wrote:
> Just curious about this...
>
> It seems  that the dynebolic  mailing lists have died.

nope. the mailinglists are alive, just the web archive has died.

it is difficult to  repair it and we are still running  in a P3 466Mhz
server, the last time i tried  to re-cache the web archive the machine
filled up all its 1GB and decided to sit down in strike.

we hope to solve this soon,  meanwhile the mailman still does its job,
but things aren't  shiny as we'd like (yet)

> Jaromil has been out of contact  for some time

what do you mean out of contact?

did i missed to interact on something i was supposed to?

i've not  been included in the  pure:dyne development team,  even if i
requested. now i hope you won't mix things up :) i'm still here (too)

> and the most  popular off-shoot of db (being  puredyne) has moved on
> to Ubuntu.  Can it be assumed that db is dead?

no!

the dyne:bolic GNU/Linux project is not abandoned, as you can see also
in its  mailinglist there are  discussions and contributions  of .dyne
modules, as well the manual has been recently translated to spanish.

what is  sure is  that you  won't find such  a massive  rethoric about
"upgrading" and new versions: in general we are not into marketing and
we don't aim at supporting newer hardware, rathern than old computers,
which  have been  always supported,  so in  most cases  not  having an
update means that all works fine :)

i can  understand this is not  really the way  software development is
perceived  today, nevertheless  we  could argue  that an  upgrade-avid
attitude in development  and marketing makes it much  harder for users
to distinguish what is really solid and what is not.

our current development is focusing on the dyne:bolic 3.0 architecture
(which  will be  based  on gnewsense  and  pure:dyne packaging)  while
mantaining the 2.x series mostly  means cleanup of non-free parts - we
released a  2.6a some  months ago which  runs on a  Linux-libre kernel
(released by FSFLA) version 2.6.28 - but that didn't made it to stable
because  of squashFS  3.0  dropping backward  compatibility with  2.0.
meanwhile i'm  personally recommending pure:dyne for  people that have
new hardware.   i just hope  you removed UbuntuOne and  other non-free
parts  from it? sorry  but i  still didn't  tested the  latest version
myself.

at  last, consider  we are  very busy  developing software  (so called
"upstream")  which is  a  much  more engaging  task  than packaging  a
distribution:  FreeJ our video  mixer and  streaming software  is soon
reaching version  1.0 providing  important functionalities to  all our
distributions,  among them we  are now  experimenting with  running of
Processing scripts on our C++ engine - some amazing language magics :)

many greetings and thanks  for your interest and effort, pure:dyne rox

ciao

- --
jaromil, dyne.org developer, http://jaromil.dyne.org

GPG: B2D9 9376 BFB2 60B7 601F  5B62 F6D3 FBD9 C2B6 8E39

---
Puredyne@goto10.org
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne