@mike orr

$ sudo apt-get install command-not-found
$ mysql_config
The program 'mysql_config' is currently not installed.  You can
install it by typing:
apt-get install libmysqlclient15-dev

$ sudo apt-get install libmysqlclient15-dev

or
$ sudo apt-get install apt-file
$ apt-file update
$ apt-file search mysql_config
libmysqlclient15-dev: usr/bin/mysql_config

The problem is that a default repository install of mysql doesn't
include the development files, and mysql_config is really just a
program to point to the right configuration options and development
headers for things that need to link to them (like the compilation of
mysqldb).

Would be nicer if it said "couldn't find mysql_config; do you have the
mysql client development headers installed?" but I'm not sure it's
worth submitting a bugreport/patch just for that.