Hi PyLucene users and Lucene PMC,

A week ago, on Wednesday February 21st, I started a voting thread for qualifying a new PyLucene release candidate to catch-up with the recent Lucene 9.10.0 release and fix a bug in JCC.

Usually these voting threads get a couple of +1 for PyLucene users before getting votes from a couple of people on the Lucene PMC, always the same ones ;-) Three PMC +1 votes -> a release can happen.

This time, crickets, the voting thread has been completely quiet.

If there are no PyLucene users anymore, maybe it's time to shut the project down ? Personally, I think that the "software value" in the project is all in JCC. PyLucene itself is 99% machine generated by JCC around Java Lucene.

Of course, having Java Lucene available that way from Python is pretty cool so I don't want diminish PyLucene's "usage value", but from a software engineering standpoint, the itch, if you prefer, all the cool stuff is done in JCC.

If the Lucene PMC agrees and no PyLucene users come forward, I propose the following:
  - shutdown the PyLucene project
  - fork JCC to my gitlab (https://gitlab.pyicu.org/main) where it can
    get the occasional fix or improvement before being released to PyPI.
    JCC has been distributed from PyPI forever,
      https://pypi.org/project/JCC/#history
    so JCC users shouldn't even notice this...

What do you all think ?
This message is not a vote, I'm just trying to gauge interest in PyLucene and JCC.

Andi..

ps: for those who have never heard of PyLucene, it is a sub-project of
    Apache Lucene hosted here:
      https://lucene.apache.org/pylucene/index.html
pps: for those who have never heard of JCC, it is a sub-project of PyLucene
      hosted here: https://lucene.apache.org/pylucene/jcc/index.html