Hi,

Here's an update on Jacob's answer...

On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 11:31:45PM +0200, Jacob Hall?n wrote:
> > So, for example, jython and ironpython and pirate
> > could all eventually just be implemented as
> > backends for pypy?
>
> With a hand-wavy interpretation of what you are saying that would be true.

Well, I guess we should really answer "yes, absolutely".   This has been
a point we have tried to push forward quite a lot, with apparently no
real success so far: we want PyPy to become a replacement for manually
written Python interpreters.

> We are still 200 times slower than CPython and we still use quite a lot of
> memory.

After removing the most obvious inefficiencies we are now around 20
times slower.  About memory usage, I think that it has always been
reasonable (Jacob: you must think about the memory needed to translate
PyPy, which is indeed still a bit unreasonably high.)

A bientot,

Armin