On 09/11/2016 06:36 AM, Dominik Gresch wrote:
So I asked myself if a syntax as follows would be possible:

for i in range(10) if i != 5:
    body

Personally, I find this extremely intuitive since this kind of
if-statement is already present in list comprehensions.

What is your opinion on this? Sorry if this has been discussed before --
I didn't find anything in the archives.

I find it interesting.

I thing that this will likely take up too many columns in more convoluted loops such as

    for element in collection if is_pretty_enough(element) and ...:

However, this "problem" is already faced by list comprehensions, so it is not a strong argument against your idea.

I am still unsure about whether or not the pattern you describe is frequent enough to justify special syntax. Not to mention that the current way to do it is already **very** readable. Just notice how

    for e in l:
        if e != 2:

and

    for e in l if e != 2:

read essentially the same and take about the same number of keystrokes.