On 25/10/2013 19:45, Mark Janssen wrote:
OTOH why in particular would you want to initialise them with zeros? I
often initialise arrays to nan which is useful for debugging.

Is this some kind of joke?  What has this list become?

It's a useful debugging technique to initialize memory to distinctive
values that should never occur in real data.

If you're doing this, you're doing something wrong.   Please give me
the hex value for NaN so I can initialize with my array.

It is clear that you know as much about debugging as you do about objects
and message passing [...] can see why the
BDFL described you as an embarrassment, and if he didn't, he certainly
should have done.

Clearly the python list has been taken over by TheKooks.  Notice he
did not respond to the request.  Since we are talking about digital
computers (with digital memory), I'm really curious what the hex value
for NaN is to initialize my arrays....

All hail chairman Meow.  Dismissed.

Reinstating http://code.activestate.com/lists/python-ideas/19908/ where you're described as a quack, which I assume in this context makes you an expert on duck typing, which should obviously be abbreviated to ducking.

As for the hex value for Nan who really gives a toss? The whole point is that you initialise to something that you do not expect to see. Do you not have a text book that explains this concept?

But the best has yet to be invented.  Christian Tismer

Mark Lawrence