Hi René,

Thanks for looking on this bug.

On Tue, 3 Apr 2018 11:19:20 +0200, René Dudfield wrote:
> I wonder if you know how portable pkg-config is for this?
>
> Will using pkg-config work for getting config on older versions of Debian?
>
> Or will we have to try and use both of the scripts? freetype-config for
> older, and pkg-config for newer?

pkg-config has been part of Debian-based distros for many years.
The current release 0.29-4 is also part of Stretch, with Jessie using 0.28-1.

Also, freetype-config has been deprecated for many years, with pkg-config
being the preferred method of obtaining CFLAGS and libs for several years now.

In fact, freetype-config has been a wrapper for pkg-config since February 2017.

FreeType has also had pkg-config support since version 2.1.5 was released in
2003, so
pkg-config support is comfortably available everywhere.

In addition, freetype-config(1) has recommended developers use pkg-config since
March 2014.

Hope that helps.

Hugh