Hi Pywikibot people,

As you might know, the Toolforge admins are planning to deprecate the Grid
Engine <https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Obsolete:Toolforge/Grid> and
replace it with Kubernetes
<https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Toolforge/Kubernetes>.
Previously, there was a "shared Pywikibot install" maintained via the pywikibot
tool <https://toolsadmin.wikimedia.org/tools/id/pywikibot> that made it
relatively easy to run any scripts included in Pywikibot itself via the
grid engine.

It's not possible to replicate that setup on Kubernetes, but we have come
up with an alternative which is a custom image built using the build service
<https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Toolforge/Build_Service> that all
tools can use. The process to build that image essentially involves taking
the Pywikibot git repo and adding some configuration files on top of it
<https://gitlab.wikimedia.org/taavi/pywikibot-script-buildservice/-/commits/toolforge>
(the location of that repository is not final). There's some documentation
on what it will look like to users on Wikitech
<https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Majavah/Pywikibot>.

I have two questions for you regarding this:
1. Are any of you interested in helping maintain the image? If not, that's
fine, this image will be supported by the Toolforge admins and the Cloud
Services team anyways.
2. Is it fine to use the pywikibot tool account
<https://toolsadmin.wikimedia.org/tools/id/pywikibot> for building the
image? The tool account name is visible in the user-facing image name,
which is why I think it'd be nicer to use that instead of making a new
account for the image build specifically.

thanks,
Taavi

--
Taavi Väänänen (he/him)
Site Reliability Engineer, Cloud Services