Carson Farmer wrote:

AFAIK the PostGIS manager plugin is also able to load shapefiles into PostGIS, and this is a nice simple way to manage your database directly from within QGIS.

Yes, I think you're probably right here. It would be difficult to create a tool that would import data into pgsql the way that everyone or anyone would like... so KISS is the best solution (keep it simple s...) from here it's up to the database maintainer to keep things the way they want it...

Well, there should be some type of organizational standard so that
applications, like QGIS, can query the database properly. Then again,
that could be handled by a database function that simply provides
a table/view of postgresql data in the proper organization.

Th postgis user lists would probably benefit from this discussion, have you suggested similar things there? Most of us on the QGIS lists aren't database experts, so a better discussion would probably come out of the postgis lists.

No, I haven't suggested this on that list.

My only real worry was that if I import 200 vectors, I will end up with
200 different tables in the database...

Peter