Hrm. OK.

Check:
ls -al /var/lib/mysql

The username is probably root, if you haven't done anything else. The password would have been the one you set when running the pre-cursor scripts for the installation of QMT. You did change it, right?

Eric is right, in that I wouldn't generally expect mysql errors to cause a slow/lagging response with telnet to port 25, though. You might consider looking at /var/log/messages to see if Bind or your other DNS service is performing correctly and in a timely fashion. Also try some DNS queries, both from other machines requesting info from your server, and from your server requesting information from your upstream DNS servers. (This would be 'dig'; see 'man dig' for help. Simple form 'dig <ip_of_server> <dns_name_to_check>'.)

Eric may also have some additional suggestions.

Roxanne