'awokd' via qubes-users:
> On Tue, April 3, 2018 11:42 pm, Giulio wrote:
>> 3) Not using tor in order to download files prevent only man in the
>> middles attack coming from the tor network, your provider, your
>> neighbors, your dns server etc may still tricks you the same way.
>
> To jsnow's question on this, file modifications can be automated. The
> attacker could have a selection of files already modified, then watch for
> anyone trying to download it and substitute the poisoned one. Probably
> other ways to dynamically patch filetypes (like all .EXE for example) on
> the fly too. Check out "Quantum Insert". Tor helps here because it's much
> more difficult to target specific recipients for poisoned files, so they
> have to be sent to everyone who requests them which increases the
> likelihood they will get discovered. Of course, that's not the case if
> you're logging in to something.

Ok yea that makes sense. I guess i'm partially protected by the fact i'm
not doing anything really suspicious, but i guess what i'm concerned
about is dragnet attempts to compromise everyone and anyone, tho it
makes sense that would increase the chance they'd be caught which makes
it less likely.

-Jackie