Edward T. Mischanko wrote:
When ntpd loads via rc.d at system start-up it just locks-up.
It doesn't finish loading what is in the rc.conf or give me a login prompt.
I have to control c out of it to regain control of the computer, but that
terminates ntpd.  Any help would be appreciated.

That sounds like you are running it with some sort of no-detach debugging option.

I'd be more worried that ^C works, as init should not have a control TTY and daemons should not do anything that would cause it, or them, to gain one (generally the first open for input of a terminal).