rory.wins...@gmail.com wrote:
Following on...

Sorry folks, it looks like I have misdiagnosed the issue. When I connect to the server using an X client and start up the newly built R instance, I see capabilities() shows X11 support as expected. So this changes the character of my query somewhat: As I was hoping to run R in non-interactive mode (hence not using an X client in the first instance), is there any way to run R in "headless" mode, so that graphical output works, even in contexts
where DISPLAY may not be set? (eg Java has an equivalent headless
option that allows its graphical libraries to operate in such a situation, so I guess it must be possible, in theory
at least).
I'm not an X11 user, but I believe the test systems do this using Xvfb, the "virtual" X server.

Duncan Murdoch