It seems to me that preserving information about the kind of number (or not) present would be useful. I rather like the fact that
   as.numeric(as.character(NaN))
and
   as.numeric(as.character(Inf))
both work as the identity operator on numeric-like objects. (In this context, note that both is.numeric(NaN) and is.numeric(Inf) both return TRUE.) In your example, the character string "ee" does not represent any number that I know about (at least in standard R).

    Kevin