The example is invoking NextMethod via an anonymous function, which is not allowed (see documentation for NextMethod). Normally one gets a runtime error "'NextMethod' called from an anonymous function", but not here as the anonymous function is called via do.call. I will fix so that there is a runtime error in this case as well, thanks for uncovering this problem.

I don't think there is a way to replace (unnamed) arguments in dots for NextMethod.

Tomas