I think the standard way to do this in R is given by list2env(), as described in a couple of answers on the SO page you linked.

The syntax you proposed would be likely to be confusing in complex expressions, e.g.

  f(A, C, Q, R = init_matrices(X, Y, Z))

would obviously not work but wouldn't trigger a syntax error, and

  f((A, C, Q, R = init_matrices(X, Y, Z)))

could work, but looks too much like the previous one. So I think R would want Javascript-like

  [A, C, Q, R] <- init_matrices(X, Y, Z)

instead. But then the question would come up about how to handle the RHS. Does the function have to return a list? What if the length of the list is not 4? Or is it just guaranteed to be equivalent to

  temp <- init_matrices(X, Y, Z)
  A <- temp[[1]]
  C <- temp[[2]]
  Q <- temp[[3]]
  R <- temp[[4]]

which would work for other vector types besides lists?

BTW, here's a little hack that almost works:

`vals<-` <- function(x, ..., value) {
   others <- substitute(list(...))
   if (length(others) > 1)
     for (i in seq_along(others)[-1])
assign(as.character(others[[i]]), value[[i]], envir = parent.frame())
   value[[1]]
}

You call it as

 vals(a, b, c) <- 1:3

and it assigns 1 to a, 2 to b, and 3 to c. It doesn't quite do what you want because it requires that a exists already, but b and c don't have to.

Duncan Murdoch