I'm posting here instead of R-package since your response
was the most relevant :) I started using the "in-situ" workflow
and its very nice.  Thew viewer stays up between runs and across
data sources and its the same UI regardless of source :)
fwiw.

I started digging through some noisy data, dog diet data
in which the supplements were pulsed ( in essence PWM lol).
This made it hard to find the right average doses to correlate
with outcomes. I had to play with trailing average filtering but
ultimately some trends emerged that made sense with
subjective observations ( maybe they are not real but that is
not the point of this post ).

I did not use R or Visit but  I used my own code
for filtering and MJMDatascope for viewing and expect
to do more sophisticated stuff in R soon. I can tell you
though that eliminating the annoyance and confusion of
temp files was very helpful. The workflow, and mind flow,
for the "in situ" mode makes you wonder how you ever did without
it. I will probably need to update my R interface package and
MJMDatascope is hardly ideal but improving both seems
worth the effort.

Thanks.

 Mike Marchywka
44 Crosscreek Trail
Jasper GA 30143
was 306 Charles Cox Drive  Canton, GA 30115
470-758-0799
404-788-1216