Hello Everybody,

I have been using R for quite some time, but am new to the topic of
GEO-data, GIS and drawing maps in R.

I have found following paper, which introduces the usage of the package
RArcInfo
http://www.ci.tuwien.ac.at/Conferences/DSC-2003/Proceedings/GomezRubio.p
df.
Unforutunately I could not find any files to the examples.

My aim is to reproduce figure 6 on page 8.
I found the data here http://www.grid.unep.ch/data/download/gnv158.zip
which basically consists of 2 *.e00 files. I then started to convert
these files and to read into R

library(RArcInfo)

e00toavc("euadmll.e00", "euadmll")
e00toavc("eunamll.e00", "eunamll")

arcsregio<-get.arcdata(".", "euadmll")
palregio<-get.paldata(".", "euadmll")
bnd.regio<-get.bnddata("info/", "euadmll.bnd")
patregio<-get.tabledata("./info","euadmll.pat")

nregio<-length(palregio[[1]][[1]])

plotpoly(arc=arcsregio, pal=palregio, bnd=bnd.regio, col="blue")

So far it works, and I can even plot the map of europe but several
things are worrying me:

- I can only import euadmll.e00. The other file eunamll.e00, which
consists of the names of the regions won't generates an empty folder,
when converting.
- I am not able to distinguish coastlines, national boundaries aso.

Drawing maps would be a great feature and I hope you can help me,
getting it to run.

Thank you very much in advance and best regards,

Markus