Hi,

I want to keep a running file of some statistics generated by a running
process.  Occasionally the process will be restarted.

On  restart, I'd like to read the last line of the log file to set some
variables to their last state, and then continue to append values to that same
file.

I can't seem to get the appending part to work.  I can read values form the
file, but then upon the first write, the file is overwritten with the new
values, so I lose my entire history.

Any ideas?

Here is what I'm using:

=============================
outfile <- file("logfile.csv", open="r")
x <- readLines(outfile)
lastLine <- x[length(x)]
a <- as.numeric( strsplit(lastLine, " +")[[1]][1] )
b <- as.numeric( strsplit(lastLine, " +")[[1]][2] )
c <- as.numeric( strsplit(lastLine, " +")[[1]][3] )
close(outfile)

outfile <- file("logfile.csv", open="w")

while(1){
        # do a bunch of stuff
        cat(a, b, c, sep=",", "\n",  file=outfile, append=TRUE)

}

--
Noah Silverman
UCLA Department of Statistics