On Jan 4, 2012, at 12:21 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:

On Tue, 3 Jan 2012, David Winsemius wrote:

burns.tds[ !duplicated(burns.tds) ,  ]

Apparently it does not matter if the site column in the data frame is a factor or a character, read.zoo() generates the same error. Applying the
above produces a long list starting with:

burns.tds[!duplicated(burns.tds), ]
       site   sampdate    quant
599     BC-3 1992-03-27    0.100
600     BC-3 1992-04-30    0.100
601     BC-3 1992-05-30    0.100
603     BC-3 1992-06-19    0.100
1214    BC-3 1992-07-20    0.100
1215    BC-3 1992-08-10    0.100
1216    BC-3 1992-09-30    0.100
1217    BC-3 1992-10-29    0.100
1218    BC-3 1992-11-19    0.100
1929    BC-3 1995-03-23    8.080

I don't know how to interpret this. I don't see two rows with the same values, but ~ 500 rows each with a different value. What is duplicated? The
entire row? The site ID?

You didn't ask for what was duplicated, but rather what was NOT duplicated with that code. In the case of a dataframe it is the entire row that is tested.

?duplicated has some examples, but those do not show the output of the
function nor explain what's duplicated.

I need to get past this blockage and appreciate your help in determining why read.zoo() sees duplicates when the database table has none, and how to
resolve this issue.

I think you need to reduce this problem to a dataframe that you either post an access method for or use dput() to include. Then you need to say what you goals are and what code is not working on that example.

TIA,

Rich

David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT