On 12-01-04 11:41 AM, suse wrote:
Thank you! It works now.
But I still don't understand, how all these expressions, "", paste, group,
eval... have to be used together.  (For example, I first tried
expression(sm[w,grass]) but it didn't work, and I couldn't find, why (and
when) commas are interpreted here differently). So: Is there somewhere an
introduction (rather than examples) to this? Books, documents etc.

You could try the reference from the ?plotmath page, but I don't think it is a tutorial, which seems to be what you want.

Basically the examples are how to do it. Learn what expressions are like in R, then put together the pieces from demo(plotmath) by building expressions containing those pieces.

I don't see anything like sm[w,grass] in the demos, so I would just try it to see what happens: and as you found, it doesn't work.

But there is an example with commas (list(x,y,z)) and an example with subscript (x[i]), so you should be able to guess that sm[list(w,grass)] would work, and it does!

Duncan Murdoch