On Jan 4, 2012, at 4:08 PM, dood wrote:

Dear R users,

This probably a really noob question, but I'm stuck. I'd like to pass some variables from bash to R as strings. I can successfully pass variables using
commandArgs(), the problem is that I end up with an array.

Huh? You should be getting a character vector.

So, for example:

Args <- commandArgs(TRUE)
Args
[1] "one"   "two"   "three"

Now, it just so happens that "one", "two", "three" are names of columns

.... columns? Of what? Or perhaps ... in what? Does this "what" have a name in the R workspace?

that
I'd like to work with. I'd like to do something like this:

print(summary(lm(Args[1] ~ Args[2])))

No 'data' argument to lm. You would be getting better answers if you provided more specifics.

But, this doesn't work. The alternative would be to let bash write a number of R-scripts and then rm them when done, but that seems like an unnecessary
step.

Can this be done?

require(fortunes)
fortune("Yoda")