On 21.01.2012 14:47, Kevin Burton wrote:
I can put a legend on a plot with something like:

legend('bottom', leg.txt, horiz = TRUE, fill = colors)

But what if the arrays leg.txt and colors are too big? I would still like to
provide a legend but to save space I would like to just show small boxes
with the color filled in so it will still fit on the plot.

The trick could be to use filled points that look like boxes:

legend('bottom', "blah", horiz = TRUE, pch = 15, col = colors, pt.cex = 0.5)

If I could adjust
the size of the boxes (at least in one dimension) that would be desirable.
As a bonus and if there is room I would like to label the top and bottom
(left and right) of the legend with text indicating a minimum and maximum. I
am relatively new to 'R' and especially 'R' graphics so any help would be
greatly appreciated.

If you save the returned value from legend() inn some object:

lg <- legend(......)
str(lg)

you will see that there is information about the soze and location of the legend that can be used to calculate positions for other text() around....

Uwe Ligges

Thank you.

Kevin