On 13-01-20 4:51 PM, Nick Matzke wrote:
Hi, here's an obscure question someone can hopefully help with.

I have some R code that uses stuff from parallel (now a part
of the R core in 2.15 I believe), especially clusterApply.
However, this seems to cause problems in R.app, and I've
seen advice to not use these multicore functions, e.g. doMC,
in R.app.

So, I want to make this optional.  How can have a program
check whether or not it is running in R.app or regular R?

Thanks so much for your help!!
Nick

PS: I saw this:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2020790/r-script-determine-whether-the-script-is-run-in-the-gui-or-from-command-line

Which says to use:

interactive()

...but that doesn't work.  Interactive R is fine (e.g.
starting R from Mac Terminal), only R.app is not.

.Platform$GUI will be different in the two cases: "AQUA" for R.app and something else in other cases. I don't know if that's a good test to find out if clusterApply is safe.

Duncan Murdoch