On 13-06-06 6:22 PM, Rolf Turner wrote:
On 07/06/13 03:19, Scott Raynaud wrote:
I actually had tried placing arguments in the call but it didn't work.
However, I did
not think about writing it to a variable and printing.  That seems to have done
the
trick.  Funny, I don't remember having to do that before, but that's not
surprising.

If I remember correctly --- haven't used Splus for decades --- this is a
difference
between Splus and R.

In R the output of a function is returned *invisibly* if that function
is called
from within another function.  And source() is one such other function.

Actually this depends on the caller. source() does return its results invisibly, but many other functions don't.

source() is unusual in another way that came up recently (on R-devel, I think): it calls withVisible() on the code that it evaluates, which means that instead of a simple value it will return a list containing the value and an indicator about whether it should be displayed. It returns this list invisibly, leaving it up to whoever called source() to decide whether to display the value or not.

Duncan Murdoch

So if you have a script, say "melvin" with the single line:

      sin(42)

and in R you execute

      source("melvin")

you will see no output.  If in another script, say "clyde" you have the
single line

      print(sin(42))

and in R you execute

      source("clyde")

you will see

      [1] -0.9165215

In Splus, IIRC, the print() call is unnecessary.  I.e. you would get the
same
result by sourcing "melvin" and "clyde".

Current Splus users may correct me if I am wrong about this.

      cheers,

          Rolf Turner