Hi Spencer,

One piece is that a data frame of the same dimensions as went in comes out.
 The second piece is that the vector is recycled.

So in your first example:

data.frame(1) * 1:4

you only end up with the first element:

data.frame(1) * 1

If you try:

data.frame(1) * 4:1

you get a data frame with a value of 4.

Now for:

data.frame(1:2, 3:4) * 5:7

recycling kicks in again, and you get:

1 * 5, 2 * 6, 3 * 7, and 4 * 5

When working with vectors, you get recycling and it expands to the greater
length vector:

1:3 * 1:6

has length 6.  But data frames are sort of a 'higher' class and the
dimensions of the data frame trump the vector.

A slightly different behavior is observed for matrices:

matrix(1:6, ncol=2) * 1:3

Gives recycling as expected to the longer of the vectors, but

matrix(1:6, ncol=2) * 1:9

gives an error, but the error is _not_ directly in the multiplication, as
it were, but rather the results (which because matrices are stored as
vectors has expanded to be the length of the longer vector, here 1:9) do
not match the input dimensions of the matrix.  In particular, this is the
same as trying to do:

x <- 1:9
attributes(x)$dim <- c(3, 2)
Error in attributes(x)$dim <- c(3, 2) :
  dims [product 6] do not match the length of object [9]

basically, R gets the result of 1:6 * 1:9, but then cannot format it back
as a matrix, because the saved dimensions do not fit the new resulting
data.  You can verify that R does indeed to the calculations if you go
under the hood --- the multiplication is done, and then it tries to apply
the dims and it errors out.

Cheers,

Josh

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 11:42 PM, Spencer Graves <
spencer.gra...@structuremonitoring.com> wrote:

> Hello, All:
>

>       What's the logic behind "data.frame(1)*1:4" producing a scalar 1?
>  Or the following:
>

>  data.frame(1:2, 3:4)*5:7
>   X1.2 X3.4
> 1    5   21
> 2   12   20
>

>       I stumbled over this, because I thought I was multiplying a scalar
> times a vector, and obtaining a scalar rather than the anticipated vector.
>  I learned that my "scalar" was in fact a data.frame with one row and one
> column.
>

>       What am I missing?
>

>       Thanks,
>       Spencer