Hi Elizabeth,

In confirmatory factor analysis with multiple groups, the reason one needs
to estimate the models simultaneously is that, typically, one is interested
in applying constraints (e.g., forcing all or some of the factor loadings
to be equal across groups).  In exploratory factor analysis, constraints
are uncommon (they are somewhat un-exploratory).

I would suggest simply using the psych package and subsetting your data to
the particular group, as in:

efa( data = subset(data, Group == "Group1") )

efa( data = subset(data, Group == "Group2") )

etc.

As you noted, lavaan will allow you to test multiple group CFAs, so if/when
you are ready to see whether the same configural factor structure or any
other level of invariance holds across your groups, you can use it.

Sincerely,

Josh

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 2:46 PM, Elizabeth Barrett-Cheetham <
ebarrettcheet...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello R users,
>
> I’m hoping to run an exploratory and confirmatory factor analysis on a
> psychology survey instrument. The data has been collected from
> multiple groups, and it’s likely that the data is hierarchical/has 2nd
> order factors.
>
> It appears that the lavaan package allows me to run a multiple group
> hierarchical confirmatory factor analysis. Yet, I can’t locate a
> package that can run the equivalent exploratory analysis.
>
> Could anyone please direct me to an appropriate package?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Elizabeth

Joshua F. Wiley
Ph.D. Student, UCLA Department of Psychology
http://joshuawiley.com/
Senior Analyst, Elkhart Group Ltd.
http://elkhartgroup.com
Office: 260.673.5518