> On Jan 12, 2016, at 1:22 PM, John Beyer <johnbe...@me.com> wrote:
>
> This is what I get when i try to run dir or ls on my R Console:
>

> getwd()
> [1] "/Users/johnbeyer"
>> dir
> function (path = ".", pattern = NULL, all.files = FALSE, full.names = FALSE,
>    recursive = FALSE, ignore.case = FALSE, include.dirs = FALSE,
>    no.. = FALSE)
> .Internal(list.files(path, pattern, all.files, full.names, recursive,
>    ignore.case, include.dirs, no..))
> <bytecode: 0x7f8b48c1d428>
> <environment: namespace:base>
>> ls

If you want to use the `ls` function, at a minimum you must enter 4 keystrokes:

ls()

R is a functional language and has a syntax that requires that all functions
have a name, opening parenthesis, argument list (possibly empty as in this
case) and then closing parenthesis. This should have become apparent as you
worked through the material in "Introduction to R".

Just typing a literal function name with no parentheses returns the value of
the function name which is code.

--
David.

> function (name, pos = -1L, envir = as.environment(pos), all.names = FALSE,
>    pattern, sorted = TRUE)
> {
>    if (!missing(name)) {
>        pos <- tryCatch(name, error = function(e) e)
>        if (inherits(pos, "error")) {
>            name <- substitute(name)
>            if (!is.character(name))
>                name <- deparse(name)
>            warning(gettextf("%s converted to character string",
>                sQuote(name)), domain = NA)
>            pos <- name
>        }
>    }
>    all.names <- .Internal(ls(envir, all.names, sorted))
>    if (!missing(pattern)) {
>        if ((ll <- length(grep("[", pattern, fixed = TRUE))) &&
>            ll != length(grep("]", pattern, fixed = TRUE))) {
>            if (pattern == "[") {
>                pattern <- "\\["
>                warning("replaced regular expression pattern '[' by  '\\\\['")
>            }
>            else if (length(grep("[^\\\\]\\[<-", pattern))) {
>                pattern <- sub("\\[<-", "\\\\\\[<-", pattern)
>                warning("replaced '[<-' by '\\\\[<-' in regular expression
> pattern")
>            }
>        }
>        grep(pattern, all.names, value = TRUE)